Monday, January 29, 2018

Experiment 4.5: A Trip to the Beach

This was an in class experiment. I wrote this poem in Terza Rima format. I hope you like it! :)


A Trip to the Beach

A trip was planned to the great outdoors.
A camping excursion on the beach.
The beach is safe, it has no wild boars.

When we arrived, I gave a grand speech.
I spoke of sand and waves and crab friends.
I stretched my arms far as they could reach.

We explored the coast, middle to ends.
Driftwood was plentiful, as were shells.
There was this atmosphere the beach lends.

The beach is awesome, so many smells.
Colors abound, toes buried in sand.
Lighting up my heart like Christmas bells.

And on the shore we walked, me and Dan.
Walking as lovers do, hand in hand.


When writing this poem, I knew that syllable count didn’t ultimately matter, but when the professor mentioned that the lines should be the same length, I took it literally. Every line in this poem is 9 syllables. It’s a weird number, but it’s better than the villanelle format of 19 lines! I didn’t want to write THAT much.

No comments:

Post a Comment